Copyright (c) 1995-2020, European Commission, unless otherwise stated in the respective data set in the field referenceToOwnershipOfDataSet. All rights reserved.
SCOPE This license refers to the data sets published in the ELCD database, found online at http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu. The database is published by the European Commission, Directorate-General Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability (JRC-IES), European Platform on Life Cycle Assessment (EPLCA).
DEFINITIONS - "Modified"/"Modifications" refers to have ommitted, changed or added information of a data set, resulting in a data set that still represents the same or an insignificantly differing product system as the original data set. This does not refer to changed storage form or format of a data set. - "Derived" refers to a data set that was obtained by integrating via mathematical operations one or more of the ELCD data sets AND by making use of substantial additional information and/or third party data sets, resulting in a significantly differing data set for a significantly different product system.
REDISTRIBUTION, USE, MODIFICATION, DERIVATION Redistribution, use, modification, and derivation of any one of the ELCD data sets, independently whether in ILCD format or any other form or format, is permitted to everybody and free of charge, provided all the following conditions are met as referring to the respective activity. Moreover, these conditions also apply analogously to those ELCD database-based data sets that were already previously redistributed, used, modified or derived:
* Redistribution of an unmodified or modified ELCD data set must retain the original information about the owner of that data set (field referenceToOwnershipOfDataSet), and this license text. This can be done inside the data set or in additional documentation and/or other materials provided with the redistribution. If this is done not inside the data set, a clearly visible reference named "copyright notice and license conditions" must be put inside the data set and point to where the copyright notice and this license text can be found and freely and easily accessed, e.g. at http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu.
* Distribution of data sets for price, license fee or similar is only permittable for derived data sets. The modified or unmodified ELCD data sets, in whatever form or format, may only be redistributed free of any related charge, license fee or similar.
* Redistribution of modified ELCD data sets in whatever form or format has to be avoided as far as possible. In any case the distributor of a ELCD data set has to clearly document inside the data set and in a prominent place which modifications have been made.
* Upon any modifications of a data set and equally for derived data sets, the consistency and conformity declarations (section consistencyAndConformity), if present, have to be checked and adjusted accordingly.* Upon any modifications of a data set and equally for derived data sets, and especially in the Inputs and Outputs sections of the data set but possibly also in other sections, the review information (section review), if present, has to be checked and adjusted accordingly or removed.
* Upon any modifications of a data set and equally for derived data sets, the approval of the dataset (field dataSetUseApproval), if present and the ownership (field referenceToOwnershipOfDataSet), if present, are void and have to be removed entirely.
* Upon any modifications of a data set and equally for derived data sets, neither the name "ELCD" nor that of the original data set owner nor the publisher of the ELCD database nor any derivations of those names or otherwise confusingly similar expressions may be used to promote such data sets without specific prior written permission from the EPLCA(1)(2) and/or from the owner of the original data set, whichever organisation should be referred to in the promotion for the modified or derived data set.
* If a data set is distributed in a modified or another format than the ILCD format, the distributing party must prevent that the receiver of such a data set can get the impression that the data set is provided in the ILCD format. Among others does this mean that the present information about the data set's format (field referenceToDataSetFormat) is to be removed from the data set.
* The correct citation for external communications and advertisements of unmodified ELCD data redistributions is as a minimum "ELCD data sets - http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu" plus the data sets' version number(s). For modified data sets the citation has to be "ELCD data sets, modified - http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu" plus the data sets' version number(s).
* Use of data sets in commercial or noncommercial studies or to develop derived data sets is permissible if proper reference is given to their use as "ELCD data sets, http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu. (c) European Commission 1995-2009". However, the above referred to user of the ELCD data sets must strictly avoid to give the impression, that his or her study or results or recommendations of the study, or derived data sets might be endorsed by the European Commission or its bodies or by the owner(s) of any of the used ELCD data sets.
* Extracts exclusively of the section dataSetInformation of a data set may be used
in other contexts such as e.g. publications or presentations if proper reference
is given to its source as "Documentation extract of the data set
* As soon as a new version of any of the ELCD data sets is made available by the European Commission for public and cost free access, the license rights granted in this license to redistribute modified or unmodified data sets of the former version expires within 6 months after first publication of the new version of that data set and the old data sets shall not be redistributed anymore. Also shall the user of such old versions of the data sets not communicate anymore to be using ELCD data sets. Previously derived data sets are not affected by these conditions. For continued use of the old data sets in an ongoing LCA project the above named 6 months prolongs to 12 months. The responsibility to identify the fact of availability of a new data set version lies with the data set user.
THE ELCD CORE DATA SETS ARE PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS ARE" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE, DISTRIBUTION OR MODIFICATION OF ANY OF THESE DATA SETS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Furthermore the "Important legal notice" of the European Commission as presently found at http://www.europa.eu/geninfo/legal_notices_en.htm fully applies. In case of contradictions with this license text or unclarities that "Important legal notice" is binding, rendering invalid any possibly deviating conditions set forth in this license, while the not affected conditions still apply.
(1) The use of the expressions "ILCD formatted" and "ILCD Data Network compliant documentation" is herewith automatically granted for a derived data set, if it is fully "ILCD valid" and "ILCD compliant" as defined in the "ILCD Data Network compliance rules" (distributed with the ELCD database). This includes, that such a data set shall be editable with the ILCD Data Set Editor, which will be made available via http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu. See also the license conditions for the ILCD format, also accessible via the same website.
(2) If a derived data set is provided in another format than the ILCD format, but the documentation meets the documentation requirements regarding scope and permitted entries, the expression "ILCD compliant documentation" may be used but always in conjunction with the information in which format the data set and/or its documentation is provided. It has to be made sufficiently clear by the data set distributor to the recepient of such information/advertisement that the data set is not provided in the ILCD format.